Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Reflection on CH1-12

I remember when I was a kid that I use to struggle concentrating on what I was reading and after a few minutes I realized that I was not grasping the information, I was just reading what was right in front of me. I had to read in twice for every chapter and I knew what my problem was. I was not reading enough and i really didn't care. What saved me from failing was going over the questions on the end of the chapter and answering the questions.  Reading on Chapter one, I look back on my eight through twelve grades science courses, I acted like many of the students in Mr. Cosgrove's imaginary biology class. I really didn't see how the subject fit into my life of interest until I was able to use it. I really understood the rules of physics when it came to building a rocket and calculating where and how landing was possible. I can see the challenges that educators face when different factor interfere with what the kids really should learn through reading. I know motivation is very important and educators are doing their best to instill self motivation in kids, but finding those resources in schools is the toughest part. 

I think back on the exercise last wednesday and on how it was a little hard for me to make sense of the gibberish. Mr. Bussell said that most proficient readers don't pay attention the every word as they read, and it made me think how I could I apply this to music reading. I ask my self, "Would reading more make me better or worse at reading music?" Can fluency prevent me from paying attention at uncommon details in music reading? I know that more music reading is always good for me as a musician, but would book reading could? As a music educator, I wish to incorporate many of the thinking strategies chapter 1 talks about. It's important to make the kid visualize ideas and situations in the text , make connections, ask questions, draw inferences, evaluate and determine what's important, notice and analyze the author's craft, recall ideas, self-monitor while reading (subject matters, pg.3-4). 

I agree on chapter 12 about key points students should be reading to help their learning. It's still a little hard as a future music educator to have them read of another subject and have time to cover a complete applicable music lesson for that day. I can see how important a reading about a certain composer and his music is good in order for the student to broaden their perspective of the style, time, and purpose of the music. Hopefully I can help students get involved with what they learn in all classes though music. I feel I play a big part in how kids react to how they learn. I need to be careful to not overload them with so much information but use what they know to help them grow. 

Point number ten on Chapter 12 is very interesting. I remember that in middle school my teacher would read aloud to us. I always like how she read to us and it really help me to think more on how I was reading. Then, as I think back on my playing progress on the saxophone, I really didn't advance on my sound and style until I heard a professional saxophonist play for me. I can see how important imitation and hearing is to all subjects. I feel strongly to what the book says about being engaged to a reading community. This goes hand in hand with learning and perfecting and art. If one is regularly around with people  who do, talk, read, and write together about any subject, that person will learn and explore to the fullest extent. 

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you on not wanting to oveload your students with too much material too learn, because then they feel overwhelmed and most of the time will not take in what was being taught. Also reading out loud or as a group is a great actvity, because students can then all get different meanings and come to an agreement on what the meaning may really be.

    ReplyDelete